Monday 14 February 2011

Who'd have thought it?

Let's get this straight, I have never been a fan of Victoria Beckham, or the Beckham brand. I always had Victoria down as a very driven but ultimately limited on talent.

How wrong I was.

What I have always admired about VB is she always looks polished; sure there have been some disasters - his and hers matching leather suits and high heeled baseball boots to pitch at Dodger statium. However that said there aren't many people who can rock the whole pencil skirt thing the way she can.

When she started the fashion designing I thought 'here we go, can't do music, can't do TV, try fashion...' and of course I don't think I was the only person who wondered whether her first collection was a too closely 'influenced' by Roland Mouret

However, as her fifth collection went down the catwalk last night at NY fashion week it really feels like she has grown as a designer and is stretching her creativity. There is a Japanese sensitivity that I love and that hooded dress is an instant classic.




Over the time Victoria has designed it seemed as though she wouldnt break out of the tight fitting corsety style thing, but this collection is loose and has structure. I am no expert but it feels difficult to pull off sleek without being harsh and this softer side of Mrs Beckham looks like a winner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets face it - she's done it.

Unknown said...

Steve, man... I'm worried about you. Are you OK? Do you need to talk to someone? Is this what happens when the pool table breaks down?

Anonymous said...

WTF?

Steve Simpson said...

Its good to keep the team on their toes...normal service being resumed