Monday 27 April 2009

What's on my mind...

I've just returned from an internet-free holiday. it was great in the fact that i got to read (but all those marketing books remained untouched), listen to music (Spotify wouldn't have helped) and generally think about what's important

My last post was about being a Geek, and the sense of pride I take being branded a Geek. It got me thinking about whether I'm more comfortable in my own skin growing older as I wouldn't have wanted to be a Geek when I was at school. That's how I learned to play football, cricket and chess. OK I didn't mind a little Geekiness even then!

But it seems everywhere I turn I see how important 'Geek Cool' has become. The best fashion designers are Geeks (think Jil Sander and Alber Elbaz) and the musicians are Geeks (Production and DJing by definition is a technical skill)

So why has this happened? Why has someone who was ridiculed been now revered? (I nearly said desired!)

I think that the reason lies in the fact that the most desired items these days are not cars, clothes or watches anymore; they are phones, laptops and TVs. And it is that guy Jobs who has created all this!

What’s more, the iPod has even reached commodity status - those who go about wearing white earbuds are called 'sheep', merely followers of those in the know who use a pair of Shures, Etymotics or Ultimate Ears - so once this level of elitism exists technology as an object of desire is complete.

So, I would say technology has in a way 'become fashion', if we take fashion as a term for 'modern and contemporary'. Technology and internet savviness are the barometer knowing trends. Technology, like fashion before it, is a sign of what we desire and desire to be.

So I have finally found myself in the right group. It all seems a bit 'Animal Farm' though doesn't it?

3 comments:

Tea Knee said...

Surely that means you have the LG Arena...

Steve Simpson said...

LG? Poor technology.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory