Monday 8 November 2010

The analytic culture oxymoron

Maybe it's because it's a Monday...but I am in a philosophical mood this morning

Analytics and Culture.....let's go

Culture is about people, its warm and fuzzy and gives visions of country pubs with open fires. Analytics is about data, its clinical and dull with visions of spreadsheets and thick rimmed spectacles...(like mine)

When we talk about putting data at the heart of the organization it must strike fear into most managers; "do we really need another dashboard?" "Actually, forget it, its a cultural thing, there is nothing we can do about it"

Culture is about what the people in a group think, say and do. These are informed by inherent beliefs, expectations and communications. In fact, isn't group culture more determined about how we work together in groups and how those groups interact with other groups? If that's the case, could it be made tangible and even predictable?

When I consider this I quickly get to a point that culture in a business isn't universal - subcultures exist 'sales and marketing', 'IT and finance' and the like.

What does it take for an analytical approach to business to be successful in organisations like this?

Well for one, I certainly feel it has to be HOLISTIC. It has to break down silos and not re-inforce them. So a web analytics dashboard or keyword optimization won't be successful in the long term because it doesn't create widespread adoption. In fact, when all these subcultures come to the table with their own view of the world - that world becomes a more confusing place to be

Secondly, despite the inherent DNA of the analytics community (I feel a fatwa against me coming on)it has to be SIMPLE. As analysts we spend a look time standing back and admiring the sophistication of our work and not how our clients will actually use it.

Finally (using the rule of threes), it has to be about PEOPLE. Analytics brings with it easily dropped terms such as 'optimization'...I dont want to be optimized! I want to continue to show how I add value as a marketer. In that respect as people we bring our own knowledge and experience, these may percolate and stay with us as perceptions, instincts or even biases. As an analyst we need to help people create clarity so they can apply their intelligence and understanding of their culture to create a better business

Now I know a lot of my own clients read this from time to time (or at least visit) so I would say we do a pretty good job of addressing the stuff above. Sure we arent perfect but we'll be even better next week than we are this one...I promise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Human's life is short, thence we should live it fast. Moreover, the paper writing service should help us to construct our academic career quickly.


It was incisively what I needed. I actually appreciated the level of writing in the custom papers and the prompt of delivery.



Thanks you admin....