Wednesday 3 November 2010

The future, no, the end, no, the future of magazines

I love my ipad, yawn. But lets face it, i am on a train journey and i have responded to mails, posted on this blog, read two articles of Interview magazine and completed three levels on Angry Birds Halloween.

I really liked the Interview app for the iPad, it was heavily sponsored (Calvin Klein) but had some incredible fashion photography. Also the way the pages turn is a beautiful thing. But then i started to wonder if i had explored everything in this digital magazine. had i missed an article? How would i know if i had? It all became quite frustrating.

I have downloaded a large number of newspapers and magazine apps and basically all these publishers are doing is slapping their print versions of their publications online... Surely this can be improved upon?

The iPad has been widely touted as the opportunity for publishers and particularly glossy magazines. However is it really the case that readers are ditching magazines because they don't like the print version? Are we all going to start flooding back for a glorified pdf?

Like advertising on the Internet we, as consumers demand interactivity in return for attention, that means video, gaming and social features. My feeling is that the magazine app needs to open up content, not restrict it....almost intelligent search for my life.

Wired does a good job, not only because it's geek quotient is high (although that's appealing), they have truly enhanced their print version and they will continue to innovate...I hope Interview, GQ and Monocle take note.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Narbonne Ave,Lambeth,United Kingdom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website ()
on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you
provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good blog!