Thursday 2 July 2009

RSSzzzzzzz.......

I realised I don't really use my RSS feeds any more. I found that I had too many feeds and was missing really interesting content in the race to kill the content on the feed. So much good stuff and so little time - the filter and aggregator concept of RSS just wasn't working

All that research about trusting our "friends" (you have got to use that term loosely these days) means that you probably dont need that RSS. One of my colleagues asked me if I saw that McKinsey Quarterly article on sales funnels. I hadn't, yet in came into my RSS three times and appeared on my Facebook!

That incident and Michael Jackson (Billie Jean is now OFF heavy rotation in the office) probably means you won't miss the truly useful content if you just listen to your "friends", their blogs and twitterfeeds. After all we are all content aggregators these days!

I suppose in order to sort through the wheat from the chaff you have to follow and engage with the right people. I don't think we have to subscribe to every episode of a particular Podcast (has anyone actually tried the TED podcast and listened to them?), but instead just make sure you are told by your group of people you respect which episodes were worth checking out?

Is that the future of Twitter? Maybe Twitter is actually a people-powered RSS feed?

1 comment:

James Fraser said...

Exactly...

Nice little thought piece I (ahem) put together on this exact subject.

The new 'editors'

http://notanothermindshareblog.com/2009/02/20/17/